If you’re interested in exploring your options, the good news is that STEM degrees, courses and careers are now more accessible than ever. There are plenty of options out there from college courses, post leaving cert (PLC) courses and apprenticeships, all taking place across the country.
What is an apprenticeship?
Apprenticeship is a programme of formal education and training. It combines learning in your place of work, with learning in an education or training centre. On successful completion of several phases of training, apprentices become recognised craftspeople or professionals.
An Action Plan to expand apprenticeship and traineeship in Ireland from 2016-2020 has been put in place. During the lifetime of this plan, the government hope to see 50,000 learners register on apprenticeship and traineeship programmes.
What is a PLC course?
A Post Leaving Certificate (PLC) course is a one to two-year course which involves practical work, academic work and work experience. Upon completing studies, graduates will receive a QQI Level 5 or Level 6 qualification, which can lead to further studies at third level. To read more about PLC courses, visit the citizen
See the full list of alternate ways of getting into STEM:
- SOLAS http://www.solas.ie/
- Further Education & Training Courses https://www.fetchcourses.ie/
- Apprenticeship http://www.apprenticeship.ie/
- Safepass/CSCS http://www.solas.ie/Pages/Safepass.aspx
- Education and Training Board http://www.etbi.ie/
- CSN College of Further Education https://www.csn.ie/
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.ie/
- ReferNET http://www.solas.ie/refernet/
- Job Supports https://www.welfare.ie/en/pages/intreo_home.aspx
- Job Vacancies https://www.jobsireland.ie/#/home
The Access to Apprenticeship Programme is aimed at young men and women aged 16 to 24 living in Dublin who experience social and economic barriers. The Programme provides an opportunity for young people to;
- Sample a range of apprenticeships in; Construction, Engineering, Electrical, Motor and Aviation industries
- Prepare their CV and interview skills
- Undertake two weeks work experience
- Health & Safety and Safe Pass Certificate
- It is a 12 week full time course.
For more information, please see https://careersnews.ie/access-to-apprenticeship-programme/