Some alternative job titles for this role
- Transportation Engineer
- Environmental Engineer
- Construction Engineer
- Geotechnical Engineer
What the job involves?
- Undertake technical site investigations
- Use a range of computer packages for developing detailed designs
- Undertake complex calculations
- Communicate with clients and a variety of professionals including architects and subcontractors
- Solve design and development problems/challenges
- Manage budgets and project resources
- Schedule material and equipment purchases and delivery
- Ensure projects run smoothly and structures are completed within budget and on time
How your career can develop
There is currently an abundance of employment opportunities for the civil engineering team both in Ireland and internationally. With experience, there are plenty of opportunities to specialise in a diverse range of areas, including coastal and marine, power, water and roads to name a few. Promotion to senior engineer and principal engineer is achievable with further experience.
Why it matters?
In addition to public projects, civil engineering also has charitable uses. Recently, three young Dublin engineers travelled to Kenya after winning a prestigious competition aimed at harnessing modern technology to help underdeveloped countries.
- Critical, analytical thinking
- Strong visualisation skills – to visualize how complex components will come together in to a finished project
- Communication skills
- Advanced maths skills
- IT skills
- Ability to control and monitor budgets and costs
- Attention to detail
Degree in civil engineering. Graduates wishing to become chartered engineers now need to hold an accredited masters degree (level 9) or equivalent. Other gateway degree qualifications include:
- Construction engineering
- Structural engineering
- Environmental engineering
- Mechanical engineering
- Electrical engineering
Alternative routes to a bachelor’s degree in this area may apply to students that have a PLC qualification in a related course or general engineering certification or diploma. For further details on eligibility requirements for third level entry following a PLC qualification, students should visit the CAO course search at Careersportal.ie.
- Engineers Ireland www.engineersireland.ie/groups/divisions/civil.aspx
- Disciplines of engineering www.STEPS.ie
- The Association of Consulting Engineers of Ireland www.acei.ie/
- The Civil Engineering Contractors Association cif.ie/about/associations/ceca.html
- The Institution of Structural Engineers www.istructe.ie/
- The Association of Consulting Engineers (UK) www.acenet.co.uk
- The Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland (RIAI) www.riai.ie
- An inspirational video about the world of civil engineering