Already a volunteer?
When you have agreed a school visit, use these tips to prepare:
- Read our Child Protection Policy and Code of Conduct documents (right hand side of this page)
- Refresh your knowledge and read the 'Volunteer role descriptions' document (right hand side of this page)
- Ensure you contact the school to confirm visit time and any necessary equipment
- Inform the school of any changes to the agreed visit in good time and update us at email@example.com
- Outline to the teacher what you plan to talk about
- Prepare and personalise your PowerPoint presentation
- Update yourself on information relating to PLC routes, apprenticeships and the National Qualifications Framework
- See an overview of the newest STEM-related apprenticeships here (includes: MedTech, software development and manufacturing engineering)
Volunteers with science and technology backgrounds will find lots of resources on this page (right hand column of this page), while volunteers with engineering backgrounds can also access volunteer resources with an engineering focus on STEPS.ie.
If you are visiting a school and want to carry out some simple hands-on experiments, see the below list for some ideas.
BUT remember to ensure you have checked with the teacher that this is ok and only bring safe ingredients/equipment.