Some alternative job titles for this role
- Credit Controller
- Financial Analyst
- Management Accountant
- Financial Director
What the job involves
- Financial modelling and analysis
- VAT return preparation
- Duties relating to cash management and the company treasury
- Taking charge of the payroll process
- Preparation of cash flow statements, budgets and forecasts
- Overseeing the financial team and managing the finance function
- Ensuring financial ledgers and accounting processes are maintained
How your career can develop
Opportunities for progression in all areas of an organisation are plentiful and varied, depending on individual interests, aspirations and abilities. Progression to financial director is possible with experience.
Why it matters?
Financial controllers are a vital component in any business operation, responsible for ensuring the financial stability and viability of the entire operation.
- Ability to reflect on one's own work as well as the wider consequences of financial decisions
- Business insight and a genuine interest in the wellbeing of the business
- Organisational skills and ability to manage deadlines
- Team working
- Client-facing (customer service) and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in IT
- Crisis management skills
- Analytical ability
- A methodical approach and problem solving skills
- Professional accountancy firms
- Commercial organisations
- Government departments
- Regulatory bodies
- Graduate/Starting €65,000
- Senior/Potential €85,000+
Initial entry into this sector involve a degree in business or accountancy. Subsequently, Qualified Chartered Accountant (QCA) and most organisations will only consider candidates with multinational experience or experience with top accountancy firms, with at least five years of post-qualification experience and at least one years’ experience as a financial controller elsewhere, and 7-8 years’ experience managing an accountancy or finance function. You must be ACA, ACCA, QFA, CFS or CIMA qualified.
Alternative routes to a bachelor’s degree in this area may apply to students that have a PLC qualification in a related course. For further details on eligibility requirements for third level entry following a PLC qualification, students should visit the CAO course search at Careersportal.ie.